Sunday, 5 June 2016

Summer Reading (Sunday Post #3)

http://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/the-sunday-post-meme
  
Exams are over! Now, let's pretend they never happened and talk about all of the books we're going to read this summer instead. For the first time in forever, we're linking up with Sunday Post, a meme hosted by Kimba at The Caffeinated Book Reviewer

News From The Reading Front

Since my exams ended, I've done nothing but read.

Merlin: The Poisoned Chalice - 3 stars - Merlin was one of my favourite TV series growing up, so, when I saw this at the library, I couldn't resist picking it up. This is basically just a novelisation of one of the early episodes. The writing isn't always brilliant, but it's short and made sweet by nostalgia.

Percy Jackson and the Greek Heroes by Rick Riordan - 4 stars - Percy retells the stories of the Greek heroes in typical Riordan fashion. It's taken me almost a year to get through this one, but that's partly a reflection on how busy I've been with course books. It's also partly because reading this book is like taking your own personal odyssey - Hercules and Jason alone take around a hundred pages each.

Summer's finally here and, since I don't think I'm going anywhere, I thought I'd spend my holidays world-hopping. I have such a craving for fantasy at the moment, and can't wait to start on my stack.

Daylight Saving by Edward Hogan - A thriller that I picked up a while back. It's set at summer, so I thought I'd save it -

(*Glares*)

Okay! Okay! I bought it because it was short and completed a buy-one-get-one-half-price offer, and I haven't really felt like reading it. 

The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman - The sequel to The Invisible Library, and a strong contender for my next read. I can't wait to get back into this world, with it's super powerful bookworms, and general grammar geekery.

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater - So excited for this one! Fairies, assassins, and it's a Stiefvater novel! What more can you ask for?

A Darker Shade of Magic and A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab - Everyone and their cat has been recommending these to me. I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about.

The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich - A creepy thriller that I bought along with the above two when I went on my book-buying binge after my exam. It's told in diary entries, transcripts, and medical notes. Having only read the blurb, my personal theory is split personalities, but somehow I don't think it's going to be that obvious.

The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan - Really excited to see how Riordan approaches writing from the perspective of a GOD. 

School's! Out! For! Summer! Which begs the question, what are you going to read? And don't forget to link me to your own Sunday Posts.