Tuesday, 25 July 2017

California Wolves (Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25928143-sinner5/5

This book has been read a little bit everywhere. In bed, on the bus, in the library...I couldn't put it down.

I don't know what it was about it, but it was addictive. I didn't want to take my eyes off the chess match between Baby and Cole and, to be totally honest, I wanted to see how Isabel and Cole would get their happy ending when neither of them seems willing or able to be happy. This is essentially Cole and Isabel's Shiver and it's heavier on the action and sarcasm than Sam and Grace's ever could've been.

Isabel is one of those characters that everyone can empathise strongly with. I think we can all agree that, at times, life sucks. She's as prickly as always and, if possible, even more cynical. Cole is still haunted by Victor's death, still trying to dig his way out of his hole, still trying to change. And he is changing, even if everyone around him refuses to acknowledge it. The hardest thing about the ups and downs in their relationship is that you see them from both perspectives and, usually, they're both equally in the right and wrong. Sam and Grace both appear briefly when Cole calls Sam. I have to admit that this was one of my favourite things about the book. Sam and Cole have what is possibly my favourite fictional friendship on account of how we got to watch build up over the course of Linger and Forever so it was great to see that it was still there, even across whole states. Of the side characters, my favourites were Isabel's timid cousin Sofia and Jeremy, Cole's endlessly supportive bassist.

Sinner combines Maggie Stiefvater's beautiful writing with old characters and a brand new setting. If you liked werewolves in Minnesota, you'll love them in LA.


Do you like it when trilogies get sequels and prequels?