Thursday, 7 September 2017

I Seriously Have to Wait FOUR Books for the Happy Ending? (Cinder by Marissa Meyer)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11235712-cinder
5/5

"'You are not part of this family. You aren't even human anymore.'" - Marissa Meyer, Cinder, page 279

I am seriously late to the party on this one, but better late than never.

Cinder is a fairytale retelling done right. It takes the old story of Cinderella, dismantles it, and drops it into a dystopian, sci-fi version of Beijing. A plague has struck earth and cyborgs are being drafted as test subjects to help find a cure. Looking down on earth is the moon, where a colony of humans has evolved into a magical race of people called Lunars. I loved the setting because it was just so different to anywhere else I'd ever read about.

Cinder is a teenage cyborg living with her adoptive mother and sisters. She works as a mechanic, though she doesn't actually see any of the money. Kai is the prince of the Eastern Commonwealth. You'd think they wouldn't have a lot in common. As it happens, a prince has about as much freedom as a cyborg does. They get on just fine. The villain, Queen Levana, is ripped from Snow White (as is her stepdaughter, who is mentioned but never actually seen). She can glamour anyone into liking her, including our heroes who have to make an effort to resist her. Other characters include the royal advisor, Torin, who is 100% done with the young prince, Dr Erland, a morally ambiguous doctor, and Iko, a (technically) faulty android who's the closest thing Cinder has to a best friend.

Plot-wise, I saw most of the twists coming. I was surprised by who had planted the direct communication chip though, and by who Dr Erland really was. I was expecting him to end up as a straight-up villain, but it's more complicated than that.

Overall, I LOVED Cinder and, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm gutted that I have to read three more books to get to the happy ending. Cinder and Kai deserve to be happy now!

(...Are you feeling okay?)

I mean, maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but that has to be how it ends, right? It's still a fairytale, even if it is set in mildly dystopian China.

Is there anyone here who hasn't read this novel?